Granary Building, Kings Cross
At the centre of the Kings Cross Goods Yard is the noble Granary building, designed by Lewis Cubitt in 1851, now
converted by Stanton Williams for Central St Martin’s.
We were appointed to oversee the repairs to the historic fabric, including cleaning and repairing the brickwork
of the elevations, taking care to retain the scars of time and the ghosts of demolished buildings.
The repairs also involved removing rusting butterfly ties that had burst the
granite parapets, repairing the external windows, remounting the loading bay doors inside the building, gently cleaning the internal woodwork and limewashing the internal walls.
We worked closely with Stanton Williams to install the new services in a sympathetic manner under a floating floor, leaving the underside of the joists open to view.
RIBA National Award 2012