Ragged School Museum, Tower Hamlets
Warehouses on the Grand Union canal north of Limehouse Basin were converted shortly after their completion in the 1870’s to become the largest Ragged School in London.
In 1988 Richard Griffiths restored and converted one of the buildings to museum use, including the recreation of a Victorian classroom on the first floor.
Floors and staircase were carefully upgraded to comply with fire regulations without compromising their rugged exposed construction.
Richard Griffiths Architects have now returned to convert the adjacent buildings into an extension of the Museum, together with a multi-use studio on the top floor, lettable offices and a canal side cafe/bar, ensuring a secure economic future with HLF Funding.